THIS IS HAPPENING!!
For my friend Cashs birthday, we thought to do a unicorn themed birthday cake. I know unicorns have become a fad really; but honestly, I love horses, and the fact that unicorns are mystical creatures. It has beauty in a sense from the creature that is it, and the fact that it is a rare being. That is why I like when people compare us to unicorns!!! It is apparently rare to be an independent classy broad, with religious morals, and to not drink or do drugs in this day and age….so heres a shout out to all my UNICORNS!! This is my form of a mystical creature, but honestly we don’t have to fit into that category or mold, everyone is special and unique in their own way!!! AND I AM NOT JUST SAYING THAT, I TRULY BELIEVE THAT!
Just chant to yourself…..
In my experience as a pastry chef, the hardest recipe to master was the vanilla cake. I’M NOT JOKING!! It is so hard to find a delicious moist simple vanilla cake. A lot of household bakers resort to box cakes; which are GREAT options, anything home baked is better then bought in my book. I understand the convenience of them, especially if you want to spend more time on the decorating part. Plus they have good flavor, texture, and they are affordable. Lets be honest cooking/baking is a lot of work and money. For me, I love making everything from scratch, and giving them as favors, and gifts! I’m a simple girl, who appreciates the simple things in life. Yes a vanilla cake can be simple, but I want it in its best form! Vanilla is always a good base to pair, and add additional complimenting flavors to as well. Cash is from Jamaica, so I feel it is only right to soak the cake with rum, and she likes it haha…
Yield: 2- 8 inch rounds BAKE TEMPERATURE: 350° F 30-45 minutes CAKE INGREDIENTS: 3 Cups Vegetable Oil 6 Cups Sugar 12 Eggs 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract 6 Cups All-Purpose Flour 3 Tbs Baking Powder 1 Tsp Salt VANILLA BUTTERCREAM RECIPE: 4 Cups Vegetable Shortening 2 Tbs Water 2 Tbs Egg White Meringue Powder 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract 12-16 Cups Powder Sugar 4-6 Tbs Milk Utensils: -Wooden dowel stick -2 toothpicks -2 box of Wilton white fondant -Gold luster dust -Paint brush -Edible marker pen -Food coloring (your favorite rainbow shades) -Star tip -Piping bag -8 inch cake board -Offset spatula *** Fondant, food colorings, luster dust, cake board, piping bags, edible marker, dowels, star tips, and paint brushes can all be purchases at Michaels arts and crafts store. (Dowel and paint brush might be cheaper at Home Depot!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Mix the oil, and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at the time, and whisk together with vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth (flour, baking powder, and salt).
- Fill the cake pans 3/4 of the way, and bake at 350 °F for 30- 45 min. Test with a tooth pic after 25 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool down for 1 hour before removing them from the pan.
- Cream the shortening, water, and vanilla extract together.
- Scrape your bowl down and add meringue powder. Cream well.
- Add 12 cups of powder sugar, and 3 Tbs of milk.
- The consistency should be a stiff paste like buttercream.
- The consistency can fluctuate to your preference with the extra sugar, and milk.
- After the cake is frosted, reserve the excess frosting for the rosettes, and dividing them into different colors.
NO MATTER YOUNG OR OLD THIS IS THE PERFECT CAKE TO BRING TO ANY EVENT! It will bring smiles, which is always the goal in my book! Like I said I always try to put thought, and love in my gifts, so what better way then to make a cake 🙂 Making gifts from scratch take time, and money too, and it’ll put a smile on their face, in their stomach, and in their heart !! If you have any questions or inquiries please let me know! Happy birthday Cash! <3333