An Italian crostata is probably one of my favorite desserts of ALL TIME! It is an Italian baked tart with fruit jam. You can change the filling to your preference. My personal favorite fillings are, apricot and blackberry preserves(with fresh sliced fruit). Since apricots are closer to their season, I decided to go with apricot preserves. A fan favorite for sure, it is the perfect combination between something buttery & salty, and something sweet.
The traditional crostata has a rustic look, if you would like to present it with a lace top (like a pie) you may as well. Here are different ways, it can be executed. Please email me if you have any questions about making any rendition of a crostata.
3 cups All-purpose flour
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 Tsp Baking powder
2 Sticks Butter (cold & cubed)
4 Egg yolks
2 Tsp Water
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
1 Egg + 1 Tsp water
1 jar Apricot jam
(optional: 1-2 fresh apricots to slice on top)
- Pre heat oven to 375° F.
- Creaming method: Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment. Cream together and scape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the yolks and vanilla. Cream together until smooth (scrape the sides again).
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- Add 2 Tsp of water (you may have to add an additional sprinkle of water, if the dough needs a little more help to incorporate).
- Incorporate into a dough, and roll it into a log in parchment paper.
- Put the dough in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Grease a tart pan (you may use a sheet pan if you are doing a rustic version)
- Roll the dough to 1/2 – 1 centimeter thick.
- Fill the center with the apricot jam filling, and sliced apricots on top.
- Fold the outside towards the center.
- Brush the tart with the egg wash.
- Place on the middle rack and bake for 25 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for 10 minutes (for a darker golden-brown color, put the tart on the top rack for the last 10 minutes).
- Let the tart rest for 20 minutes before cutting into it. Enjoy!!!
The crostata can be served either warm or cold, with a cup of tea or coffee. You can always bring it as a great favor/gift to a dinner, or any event! If you want to make the jam from scratch as well, please email me, and I can walk you through that as well!!!
BAKE SOMEONES DAY!