This week I was craving coconut! Summer is here soon, and I am back home in south Florida….so why not? I was craving coconut, with a hint of chocolate. I did not want a full on German chocolate cake. So I thought to myself what If I inverted it? Then I remembered the best Girl Scout cookies growing up!! The chocolate coconut Samoas cookies, from the girl scouts!! I transformed the Samoas into my version of a Samoa bundt cake.
Why does it have a hole in it?
Bundt cakes do not conform to any single recipe really, they are just considered that from their shape. The name derived from Europe. It came from a brioche/cake hybrid baked in a ring shape called Gugelhupf. It was used mostly for religious holidays amongst the Jewish community.
People tend to skew from healthy hacks and habits because of price, and convenience. For this cake there is coconut milk in it. You can use the canned coconut milk if you would like, and just skip ahead to the recipe!!!! If you are a health nut; and love and appreciate organic tricks, please make it from scratch!! I always make extra to reserve for my shake in the mornings! Buy 1 bag of UNSWEETENED COCONUT FLAKES. Coconuts are a delicious and nutritious source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. They have tons of calcium, potassium, and magnesium, as well as plenty of electrolytes. So the fresher the better!
- 4 Cups warm water, 2 cups unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Blend and strain
Coconut Cake & Topping!!
Usually coconut cake tends to be a little dry and dense because, the coconut flakes absorb a lot of moisture, but NOT this one! It is very rich, moist, light, and is great with a cup of milk, coffee, or my favorite tea! This recipe is so simple to make, it didn’t even need a video tutorial! I thought I should switch things up a bit as well! You may use just a whisk and bowl for this recipe, or a mixer of your choice.
Recipe Yield: 1 bundt Cake Ingredients: 2 Cups Sugar 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour 1 Cup Vegetable Oil 1 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk 2 Tbs Baking Powder 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes 1 Tsp Salt 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract 4 Eggs Topping Ingredients: 1 Tbs Butter 1 Tbs Coconut Oil 3/4 Cup Sugar 2 Tbs Cocoa Powder 1 Cup Coconut Flakes 1/4 Cup White Chocolate Chips 1/4 Cup Pecans 1 Tbs Honey or Corn syrup 1 Tsp Cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a Bundt pan, and put aside.
- Whisk the coconut milk, oil, and sugar until its incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and vanilla extract until incorporated.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients, and whisk together until incorporated (Flour, salt, coconut flakes, and baking powder).
- Pour batter in the greased pan, and bake for 30-45 minutes. Place the cake on the middle rack! (Set a timer at 25 minutes, and check every 5 minutes after. It took my oven 35 minutes which is the average time). Check with a tooth pick, if it comes out dry its done!
- Let the cake rest for 20 minutes before trying to remove from the cake pan (go around the edges with the back end of the knife to make sure the cake doesn’t rip, and stick to the pan!)
- Melt the coconut oil, butter, honey, sugar, cocoa powder in a sauté pan.
- Add the pecans, coconut flakes, and white chocolate chips until incorporated.
- Drizzle the cornstarch, and mix together until thick!
- Place the filling in the fridge for 20 minutes, until cooled down.
- Place the Coconut topping around the bundt cake like a ring on the top.
- ENJOY!!!!!!!!! EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR ALTERATIONS YOU WOULD LIKE TO TRY!! IM HERE TO HELP!