Our families Easter tradition has always been to get together at my Zia Ornellas house. This year, since everyone is getting older, and having families of their own, I thought it would be a nice time, and change to do it at my place. I organized an Easter egg scavenger hunt for my niece and nephew, and hid their goody baskets for them to find.
Most people do not know the story behind the Easter Bunny, eggs, and why we relate it to Easter. The rabbit is dedicated to the goddess of fertility, who is often categorized with a bunny. The term “to go at it like rabbits” suggests, the animals are often associated with fertility. The eggs are used as a symbol of rebirth, since Christ was reborn!
This week I choose my Carrot Cake recipe to share with everyone. It is a crowd favorite with fluffy cream cheese icing. My carrot cake is fully-loaded with textures, and flavors. I personally put coconut flakes, pineapples, walnuts, and raisins in my carrot cake. You may still use this recipe, and leave all extra additives out, if you like plain carrot cake. In life, I always say don’t knock it until you try it. So in this case, I hope you do the same!! To keep it festive, I bought a nest, mini birds, and chocolate candy eggs to put as a topper on the cake for a garnish. You can buy this for a total of $5.00 at your nearest arts & craft store.
Yield: 2 layer 10 ” round
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 cups Sugar
4 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup Whole Milk
3 cups Shredded Carrots
1/4 cup diced pineapple
1/4 cup Shredded (unsweetened coconut)
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/4 cup Raisins
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Cream Cheese
2 cups Powder Sugar
1 qt Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven 325 ° Fahrenheit, and spray grease a 10 ” round cake pan.
- In a large bowl with a whisk, whisk together the oil, milk, eggs, and sugar.
- Add the shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts, coconut flakes, and diced pineapple.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients( Flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda).
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake for 40-55 min at 325 ° Fahrenheit. Test with a tooth pick to see if it comes out dry. Rotate pan at 25 minutes.
- Wait 2 hours at room temperature before taking the cake out of the pan.
Cream Cheese Icing Directions:
- Cream together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- slowly stream in the heavy cream while mixer is on low.
- Mix until it turns into thick buttercream consistency.
- Place cream cheese icing in a piping bag with a star tip.
- Pipe spiral circles on each layer.
- Optional : Sprinkle with whatever garnish you would like on each layer. I did coconut, and walnuts for Easter.